Wednesday, June 13, 2012

{Survival Series} Introduction


A Week at the Lake {Survival Series} Introduction





A week at the lake sounded fun when it was first mentioned to me 6 years ago. Since then, I have learned that a week at the lake is HARD WORK. Especially when you add in family and… the in-laws. My husband’s family has been going to the same lake during the last week in June for the last, wait for it, 36 years. Yes, 36 years they’ve been going to the same place. My mother-in-law, the wonderful woman that she is, has been a trouper. She has packing for this event seriously down to an art. She still uses her trusty notebook with lists and has truly grown with the times and how families change. In this series, I hope to help others and give tips and tricks for making a week at the lake as enjoyable as possible. Full of memories and excitement as well as plenty of carefree timelessness in the midst of being somewhere else and the stress that comes with it.

 

A Little bit about where we’re going. The cabin is about 2 hours away from our home. We don’t own it and its part of a resort that has a total of 8 cabins. Manly Man’s family rents out all of the cabins for the week (Saturday-Saturday). Over the years the transition has been from being his grandparents and their children who are now adults with their own families. Grandma might come for a day or two but now all of the cabins are rented out by aunts, uncles, and now Manly Man’s immediate family of brothers and sisters. We had our own bungalow for the first time last year and I was given a reality check as to how much work this really is. My mother-in-law has been very gracious in sharing her lists and experiences to help make this a very pleasant experience.

In the past, we had only lived 45 minutes from said lake and I would work during the day and come down for the evening or maybe stay a day or two here or there. I was able to pick things up from the store or grab things that we might have forgotten on the first trip. Now, not so much. The closest “town” is about 5 miles away and is very small with select amount of items at their grocery store. There are larger towns close by but unless you want to make an afternoon of running errands, you may want to have everything you need with you.

In this series, I hope to share my lists and tips and tricks with you. I’m only two years into doing this myself but I’ve learned so much and the more I look for ideas and help, the less I find so I figured someone might be looking for what I’ve already got. I hope you enjoy! Please share any tips and tricks you have too!

No comments:

Post a Comment