Wednesday, June 13, 2012

{Survival Series} Pre-Trip Prep


A Week at the Lake With Little Ones
{Survival Series}
Pre-Trip Prep




I have a fabulous App for packing called Packing Pro. The only problem is that I’m a super visual person and if it’s out of sight, it’s completely out of mind. That makes a list that I need to see sitting on the counter pretty useless in a gadget. I end up checking it as we’re pulling out of the driveway. This is NOT recommended and will result in at least one trip back home within the first 10 minutes (Manly Man has a 15 minute limit for turning around to get forgotten items).

There are also several hundred items involved in a trip like this so I have my handy dandy excel spreadsheet (which I’m sure can be transferred to my iTouch, I just haven’t taken the time to do it yet). So, you get a googledocs list of my Pre-Trip packing and a list of things to do before you even think about packing (like making that reservation to begin with!!).

This is my Pre-Trip List for our little family of four and the things that we (mostly me) need to get done before we leave.

  I set aside a space in our dining room for packing items as I purchase them and suitcases once they are packed. The towel on the floor is so we don't scratch the wood. Little Lady has decided that she wants to help so they look a little crazy but at least she feels like she's a part of the process. For packing the kid's suit cases, I use the "Ziploc Method" shown here from Money Saving Mom:

Instead of tape on the bags, I used a sticky note inside each bag naming the items inside the bag. I changed it because the weather in Minnesota can change from the forcast the day (or week, if your packing in advance) before so it's easier to dress by the weather the day of than try to figure it out a week before.
To Do (Pre-Trip)
At Home
·         give itinerary/ trip details to another family member not going
·         lock up valuables
·         take out garbage - to curb
·         empty trash - to garbage in Garage
·         unplug appliances
·         turn off water heater
·         water plants
·         Plan Menu
·         Shop for food
·         Pack Food
·         Pack Supplies
·         Clean Truck
·         Get Pedicure
·         Update appointments - medical, dental, hair, eye, etc

Equipment Prep
·         recharge batteries  - digital camera, video camera, cell phones
·         camera bag  x1
o   digital camera  x1
o   Flash cards  x5
o   video camera
o   USB drive
o   cables
o   battteries
Misc.
·         Maps
·         Notebook
·         Pen
·         Pencil

Laptop Bag
·         Laptop
·         Laptop Cord
·         Spare Hard-drive

Laundry
·         Clothes Pins
·         Detergent
·         Dirty Clothes bag

General Prep
·         Prepare bank accounts – pay bills, etc
·         Reserve Cabin – 1 year prior
·         Hold Mail
·         Arrange for break from job

Medical Prep
·         Prep kids medications/vitamins
·         Prep ICE packet – immunization records, etc

Documents
·         Contact Info
·         Drivers License
·         Photocopies of documents

Luggage
·         Backpack – ManlyMan
·         Tackle Box
·         Suitcase 1 –ManlyMan
·         Suitcase 2 – Mom
·         Suitcase 3 – Lady Bug
·         Suitcase 4 – Little Dude
·         Camera Bag
·         Laptop Bag
·         Entertainment Box/Bag
o   Kid’s books, snacks, etc for travel
Boxes/Bins/Coolers
·         Food – refrigerated
·         Food – non-perishables
·         Kitchen items
·         Outdoor
·         Bathroom
·         General

Money
·         ATM card
·         Cash $200
·         Credit Card
Click HERE for a printable list in Google Docs. I love the excel spreadsheet because I can edit it all I want but still save it from year to year. I'm also one that has no idea where to start but if you give me a template, I can easily be creative with it. Enjoy!


I love the luggage tags from Nick Jr. as my kids are huge fans of Bubble Guppies. You can find them here. I just laminated them and added a cord to them. Little Lady already knows that hers is black but I'll end up forgetting when we're unloading it's just easier to have a tag on them when I'm frantically
searching for something or trying to pack.
I'd love to hear any other additional tips and tricks for things that help you before you leave for a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment